We all have reasons as to why we dress modestly. I was born and raised in the Apostolic Pentecostal faith and my parents always taught my sister and I that we were to dress in modest apparel because God’s Word explicitly said so. I was always the girl in a skirt; I never wore pants (and do not own a pair of pants to this day), I didn’t/don’t have pierced ears, didn’t wear jewelry, didn’t/don’t wear makeup, and even wore a skirt during Physical Education.

However, I was never snooty or deemed myself “better” than my peers. I attended public school from K-12 grades, established solid friendships, and was aware that I was different from my peers and my peers knew it to. I was called “skirt girl”, “Holy Roller”, and many other endearing terms that I learned to accept over the years. The only time that I was ever around other girls that dressed just like me was when I was at church, or at church related functions.

Even then, I found that many of those same girls dressed modestly thought that they are better than others. There is more to a Christian than the outward appearance. The Bible also notates that the Pharisees were justly and upright on the outside, but their internal spiritual organs were as “whited sepulchres and full of dead men’s bones”. Dressing modestly is only part of the equation, and there is much more  to living for God than knee length skirts and 3/4 length sleeves. I am still striving to do my best, and I have a long way to go.

There comes a point in one’s life when they have to decide if what they’ve been raised to believe is truly what they believe. My revelation moment occurred when I was in 7th grade. It was during that time that I realized that I liked dressing modestly and it was more than just “religion” and “household rules” and “because my pastor said so”. My bigger bottom looked better in skirts, and I just didn’t feel comfortable flaunting my cleavage to smelly prepubescent boys.

If one chooses to dress modestly, everyone knows, and if they don’t know they will begin to notice. My current second grade students always ask, “Why do you like dresses so much?” and “You’re the only teacher in a skirt!” If 20 second graders realize this, I know adults are just as observant.

Why, just a few weeks ago my sister, friend, and I traveled to Santa Monica in Southern California. I was wearing a dress and sandals; my sister and friend were dressed in similar apparel. I cannot tell you how many times MEN stopped, honked, stared, winked, and waved. We couldn’t figure it out. With countless women baring their thighs, chests, and behinds, how in the world were we attracting these uber disgusting men? Half way through the day we realized, “Ohhhh…it’s the dresses and skirts.”

Try as you may, you cannot hide behind a cloak of invisibility if you decide to dress modestly. People (men and women) will take notice.

Don’t hide, take it all in stride!

Why do you dress modestly and what do you say when you’re questioned about your choice?

(These are my first “MoMoMod” blog pics above; the quality is shoddy, I was hot, and scared.)

23 Responses to Modest Journey: Why Do You Dress Modestly?

• Thanks for writing this! I liked the line, “My bigger bottom looked better in skirts, and I just didn’t feel comfortable flaunting my cleavage to smelly prepubescent boys.” So true with me, too! I have a big bottom, and I can hide it through skirts!!!

PS- You are beautiful smile

• Rachel Lynne says:

Thank you for posting this! I am 20 years old, and have yet to put on a pair of pants.  I too went through Physical Education in a skirt, my sister and I opened up a door of oppportunity in the Canadian caddet program for skirt uniforms.  I find guys respect girls a ton more when they respect themselves.  I have extremely long hair (between knees and ankle) which, of course, is not uncommon for Apostolic girls.  However, I rarely wear it down because it is a sexual attraction for guys, and I think this is something Apostolic girls should consider a modesty issue.  There are tons of ways to wear your hair up that looks classy and nice.  Just a thought smile

• jen lord says:

“My bigger bottom looked better in skirts” – YES!! I’m sooo glad for this!!

I dress this way because it’s an outward manefestation of my devotion to God. God sees our heart but man sees our clothes! And they way we choose to express ourselves through our clothing speaks VOLUMES about the condition of our heart.

I also find it amusing to notice how my male coworkers react to modesty. Sure, they watch & talk about the ones who do not understand the concept of “business casual” -which includes some who call themselves “Christian”- but they always treat me with the utmost respect.

Modesty is such fun, really!

And you are lovely, Ms. Chandra! (those are awesome shades, btw)

• Meagan says:

I was also raised in the Apostolic/Pentecostal faith smile Thank you for writing this! Encouraging smile We can still look cute and be modest!

• Tyra says:

Great post! Thanks for sharing your heart on this. I think writing and encouraging about modesty is so important. Enjoyed reading your story. grin

• Angela says:

I love this post! There is nothing like a good dose of honesty and confidence in one blog post smile

I dress modestly because it’s classy to be modest. All of the notable and important women dress with respect for their minds and bodies. It’s really disrespectful to yourself to dress in a very flashy manner.

Kudos to you, girl!

• Kristin says:

I just think modest clothes look better on most people. Tube tops and tiny minis are not flattering for most body types! Put on a knee length skirt and cardigan, and I can guarantee that it will look better than a spaghetti strap mini dress any day!

• Hey there! Thanks for writing this! I am so glad I stumbled on it smile I am also Apostolic Pentecostal. I love, have embraced and think it is the most fun thing ever to dress the way I do. I love layers, being fancy and super girly. I am so excited I have a website to find some awesome fashion tips smile Thanks! God bless you!!

• Ann K says:

Hey, I just came across this web site, and just wanted to say kudos! I really love all the work you have put into it. Although I’m not religious, I tend to dress modestly, and I really appreciate the fashionable inspiration you offer up here!

• Ynette says:

I am really liking this website! I have a little bit of a different story:
    I did grow up wearing pants.  But, it wasnt until recently that God told me to stop wearing pants and only wear skirts for the rest of my life!
    I am happy to say now that I love wearing my skirts; I feel more like a lady.  But, as a newer full-time skirt wearer (its been about three years), I sometiems have difficulty not looking like somebody’s grandma!
    This site it great and I hope to find more like it in the future!  Thanks Chandra!

• Jenny says:

Why are skirts more modest than pants? Wouldn’t it be the opposite?

PS. I’m not trying to hate, this is my first time on this blog and I’m curious.

• Hey!!! Just came across your blog, from Bloglovin!! You can follow me back at http://fromletterstowords-jari.blogspot.com/. I love your blog and what you stand for. I am not Pentecostal (even though joining at one point my aunts church), but I love dressing modestly. I love wearing dresses and skirts and often get teased for wearing them. But I try to teach my sisters that the reason why is that dressing like this is pleasing to the Lord not man.

• Dannette Fout says:

Thank you so much for this blog. As a Apostolic Pentecostal pastor’s wife finding blogs like this will help me as I teach our young women the importance of being modest. It helps them to see that there are other young women like themselves that are striving to do the right thing too. I have emailed my ladies to let them know about your blog.

• Shahraj Mill says:

Hi, I’m Adventist and we too have the same tenets however, we be lost and not following these rules and you are absolutely right. Modesty is so amazingly fashionable and stylish. I really like that you are not emphasizing that having nice clothing means you are better than anyone else. Its about your heart and pleasing GOD with your dress. Thanks for the example…will be following

• Christina Lanskey says:

Hi!! I just found your blog.. and I all ready love it !! I was born and raise baptist.. so we are encouraged to wear skirts ..but i also grew up on a farm so I often wore pants (so I wouldn’t flash anyone). And you have no idea how many times I gave in on my convictions on modesty , because my friends did. Now I’m 17 and am wearing skirts everyday no matter what. I just wanted to thank you ,for inspiring girls ,for telling them that you don’t that you don’t have to show every thing to be beautiful.And that you can look cute and be modest at the same time. Thank you soooo much!!!!!!